Saturday, March 26, 2011

Can Someone Else Blog for Me?

Draft 7 of this post: (not feeling the ability to blog lately)


We have been busy. I'm not exactly sure why. We haven't taken pictures much. Not exactly sure why. Life with two year olds is hard. Not exactly sure I can explain why. In addition to all of our normal stuff, we have:

  • taken our lights down from our tree (I think I was more sad than Ryan)
  • participated in a "healthy living" competition with my family (we won!)
  • dealt with the typical cold/flu/ear infection stuff--oh, and scarlet fever.
  • watching a lot more dora/diego/cars than I thought I would ever allow
  • prepared our taxes/worked on a budget
  • tried to come up with new games/bribes to get Adam dressed and in his car seat (pretending to race like Lightning McQueen is working well this week)
  • dealt with a Chlorox clean up explosion in the kitchen (at least it didn't require a call to Poison Control)
  • tried to keep Rachel's screaming down to less than an hour a day (so far, so good)
  • Adam took a ride on the garage door and I haven't laughed that hard in a long time
  • had a trip to the doctor's office with zero crying!
  • got one on one time with the kids (really grateful for that) Just so you know--taking one kid to the grocery store is sooo easy! 
  • prayed the kids would sleep past 6:30am (daylight savings has helped make it to at least 7:30-hooray!)
  • gone to utah and back again in a whirlwind trip. Grateful to have been able to see some of my family this time though. and super grateful kids slept the whole night in the car!
  • Thought about potty training-and then thought better of it. Rachel's almost ready though. She sits on the potty occasionally and she knows that big girls wear panties. Adam just likes getting his stool to sit on and watch.
  • We sort of celebrated Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's Day.  Rachel was very excited to be "green" and we learned the proper name for the "tiny tree" that is a shamrock.
  • Enjoying March Madness (you should have heard Rachel picking her teams. Her favorites were Belmont and Santa Ana. Adam kept picking Temple. It's nice to know he's learning stuff in nursery. Note for next year though--we don't suggest filling out your bracket based on the teams you can pronounce.)
  • And just tried to live life: work, callings, friends, cleaning house, projects, laundry that is never done, toys that are never picked up, etc, etc. A friend recently asked if my house was always clean or if I only took pictures when it was. Let me put it this way: if you don't give me an hour's notice that you're coming--I will not let you in! A tour of the back rooms--forget it!
Now, please indulge a few cute things about my kids just so I don't forget them:

What kind of belly button does Rachel have? "a circle" What kind does Adam have? "a circle, too" what about daddy? " a big hole!" 

They are just growing up too fast. I love hearing their conversations with each other:
"Here you go, Rachey. Thanks, Adam"
Rachel has always loved tiny things. And she talks about it now. Every so often she'll say, "I'm tiny. You're big."
They are really becoming friends too. They always ask where the other one is if they're not nearby. I was holding Rachel in the middle of having a big fit and finally she sat straight up and said, "Where's Adam?"  I am happy to feel like chopped liver if they are going to be friends.

They were fighting me on cleaning up and getting dressed, so I decided to draw pictures of what we had to do that day. (I am NOT an artist). So it was funny to hear them arguing over the icons: "That's a fork. No-it's a shower! That's a banana-no it's a phone!" I got some clip art magnets to use instead so we don't have this contention anymore :)

I feel badly that I haven't documented much of what they are doing these days. It's hard to explain how they are getting big and growing up. Because really it's not too exciting around here. But I noticed this week that Adam officially says "Banana" instead of just "nana". And yesterday when I was snoozing on the couch and ignoring the phone, he got a stool and pulled it up to the counter and answered it himself. (He did this with the front door too, but I put a stop to that!) And if they're hungry, they just open the fridge or cupboard and help themselves. And Rachel sings all the words to songs I didn't know she knew. And every day they say/do something that surprises me.

Okay, Dora is over so I am back to my parental duties. Hopefully I'll start taking pictures again so my next post is more exciting.

6 comments:

Rachel B. said...

Quite often these little snipit type posts are my favorite. You guys definitely have your hands full with 2 two year olds. Those of us with just one 2 year old feel busy enough. That is so darling that they are such good little buddies. Good to hear from you!

mcampbell said...

I'm with Rachel B., friend. I love these posts--I feel like I have a real sense about what's going on in your world and I'm glad to have the window! Love you all.

jeanine said...

ditto to RAchel B. and Michelle!

ps. I don't know how you manage two two year olds! Alex has almost hit 2 and some days he just drives me crazy!

nateandrebecca said...

You guys are definitely doing better than us on the blogging thing at least...

I don't know how you manage with a couple two-year-olds either. I love the little stories you share here though. The one about drawing pictures for them especially made me laugh.

The Pagets in Florida said...

we are about "daytime" potty trained with our 2 year old. I can't say that the first is the hardest, but having 2 examples of older brothers doing it has seemed to help give instruction where we were lacking in the past.

heath said...

Speaking of posting pictures, you should post the pictures you drew--maybe we could all throw in our own guesses. :)