Sunday, June 23, 2013

Five!

I wasn't going to throw them a party. I figured the sleepover and presents and dinner would be good enough. But then, I realized. My kids are going to be FIVE! And that is a big deal. Back when they were babies I kept dreaming about the day they would be five. "Will I be able to sleep then?" I remember wondering. Oh, little did I know. I did great all day. We had breakfast doughnuts, and the best makeshift rainbow party I could pull off, and a bike riding session, and swimming and dinner and bowling. And then...in the quiet, wrapping paper filled, exhausted moments before bedtime-it hit me. These were the last moments of this monumental birthday. I didn't want to miss them. So we had a story, and tears, and cuddles. And I told my kids all about the day they came into my life. And now I just have to remember to not let my babies' fifth birthday come this fast. And I'm still wondering, if 5 years from now, when I have 2 10 year olds and 2 5 year olds, "Will I be able to sleep?" And I think we all know that answer to that.

































3 comments:

heath said...

Arrrgh, I missed it! We are the world's worst godparents. Love the rainbow party. And love those bikes. I think I got a bike when I turned 5. It was Hello Kitty! Happy birthday Rachel and Adam. We love you guys.

Rachel B. said...

Oh, so cute!!! I love rainbow parties and yours looks adorable! I can't believe they're 5. I don't know why that's weirding me out since Claire will be 5 this year, but it is. I also love that you had an accidental sleepover party. You're definitely a fun mom, even if it is partially by accident. ;)

lori said...

Dear, that's not a makeshift party! That's a darling darling party! Love those five year olds and the happy childhood you're giving them! They (and their little sisters) are such lucky kiddos!