Monday, December 10, 2007

Not Good Enough

I've wanted to write about the events of December, but I haven't quite found words that are good enough to describe them.

Nothing is good enough to explain the traditional Live Nativity pageant that is one of the only redeeming things keeping us in Las Vegas. This year was even better because we got there early enough to pet the miniature horses, sheep, donkeys, and goats. And because it wasn't too crowded, or cold. And I was watching a 2 year old which made the boring parts go by quickly.

Nothing is good enough to tell about the fun or tenderness of our "special sleepover" with friends Dylann (2) and Coby (7mos.) Dylann was so excited for her "nap at Amy's house" that she sat in bed without sleeping for almost an hour. And it was probably the only time I will see Ryan willing to get up in the night 4 times and make a bottle, and suck snot out of a baby's nose. I'd like to think he will be happy to do that for our kids, but he really likes this one. Our kids really might take 2nd place.

Nothing is good enough to describe our fun ward Christmas party, or how great it was for my musically challenged husband to fill in the tenor part of Silent Night to help a less active family. And how "proud" I was of my young women who helped serve food, and went without when it became clear there would be a shortage of roast beast.

And finally, nothing is good enough to match the great words spoken at our stake Relief Society meeting held last night. There is nothing like a fireside all about the sacredness of motherhood to bring tears to your eyes, and your heart knit close to astounding women I am lucky enough to benefit from everyday.

Nothing is good enough, but perhaps this comes close to helping those of you who are struggling with Christmas To Do lists, and guilt trips:
"Simplify, make a plan, stay focused on the ultimate goal, move forward one step at a time and stop trying to be all things to all people and just be yourself, a daughter of a loving Heavenly Father, with all your faults, weaknesses and strengths."


15 comments:

Lindsay said...

Amen. Sometimes there are no words.

Only 11 days in and already you guys seem to be having a fabulous December! Merry Christmas!!

Heather said...

Nicely put Amy. It does seem like you are having a wonderful December, hope it stays that way.

Still waiting for the Christmas letter and for pictures of the tree!

heath said...

Though some things are difficult to put into words, I would say you've done a pretty fantastic job. Beautiful post my dear. I will give you a call today sometime?

P.S.--Who is the quote by? Or is that you?

ROAST said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ROAST said...

It's about time I heard what was going on in that there life of yours. Apparently Heather is calling you today so I will look forward to hearing about that. P.s. I was the deleted message because I noticed I spelled something wrong. Sorry!

jeanine said...

beautiful post... and loved the quote at the end... who's it by?

lori said...

oh, this makes me happy! Thanks, Amy!! Sad I keep missing your calls!!!

Rachel B. said...

Isn't Christmas time awesome?! It's so crazy busy, but so fun! I'm glad you've been keeping busy with so many great things.

Unknown said...

sorry I don't know who the quote is by...I just got it at a RS thing...wish I could take the credit though!

mcampbell said...

beautiful. you and the post. love.

Rachel B. said...

Hey can you send me your address. I looked it up on whitepages, but I just want to make sure it's right. Thanks!
rachelbjorkman@hotmail.com

CL/Dad said...

Isn't the quote by Sister Beck at the recent general conference. I could look it up, but am too lazy at the moment.

Unknown said...

sorry dad, not unless someone predicted the future and typed up the quote 2 years ago when I found it.

CL/Dad said...

Yep, My bad. Thanks to google though, I did locate a reference for the quote. It is Ardeth G. Kapp, New Era, July 1991, page 35. From Super Woman to Mortal Woman.

Kate said...

Great post! I hope your December continues to be one of the best yet!