Wednesday, January 23, 2008

We're Back


Well, after having a pretty uneventful January, we made up for it last weekend. We had our great friends Royce and Heather come down from Utah to visit with us. They allowed us to take part of an exciting moment in their lives because Royce proposed from a hot air balloon while they were here. This is actually not the first time they have let us butt into their lives because I was the one who actually set them up in the first place (but I'm not gloating or anything). You can read about our fun weekend adventures on their blogs, but I wanted to give my point of view also.


It was so fun to bring the Thunder Committee back out of retirement to pull off the surprise proposal (if you don't know what that is-don't ask). Royce emailed us several times throughout the week to make sure that everything was put into place. And everything worked out perfectly in my opinion. I definitely lost sleep over whether or not Heather would be surprised or not-luckily she was.


Even if it had not resulted in an engagement, helping to set up a hot air balloon and then riding in one is awesome! We didn't get as long as a ride as them, and we didn't get to go very high because the wind would have crashed us into the mountains, but the 5 minutes we were in the balloon were so great. I now know what it is like to be floating on air.


The stress of keeping secrets and lack of sleep definitely caused us to have one of the best Sunday afternoon naps in history.


But we were back in action on Monday to try out yet something else I had never done before-golf. My father in law will probably be shocked to hear that I set foot on a course, but I have to add that this was a very cheap, run down, very much so a beginner course so I felt better about it. And I definitely overcame my complete fear of the sport. I still will never love the frustration of hitting a tiny ball (maybe) into a tiny hole with lots of khaki wearing business men building up behind you. But I also am very pleased that I actually shot a single bogey on one hole. I think I can finally overcome my flashbacks of high school when I did not hit one single golf ball further than the grass I dug up on the field.


So thanks, future Seversons, for a great weekend. Oh, and I did want to add that I'm not sure Ryan and I were the best examples of what a great marriage of 5 years entails, but if your marriage is half as good as ours-you will be very happy. I love you Ry!

10 comments:

Lindsay said...

It's been fun reading all of your points of view of the Heather-Royce proposal story. How fun that you got a hot air balloon ride for helping them out! Also, the Thunder Committee? Still love it.

heath said...

Thanks for posting about golfing. That was mighty fun--too bad I was so bad. And I think both you and Ryan are great. Just so you know.

Allison Hollingsworth Deming said...

Wow that sounds like a lot of fun, although i do have the urge to ask what the Thunder Committee is...just telling me not to do it is a horrible thing for a Cognitive Psychologist, who knows they are going to be unable to overcome the thoughts of what they do not know. Oh well.

So golfing - Amy, I share your pain. My Dad and Brother are both the khaki business golfing all the time types. My job - drive the cart and try not to damage anything on the course either of them will have to pay for. In my days when I would try to golf, I was just annoyed with the sheer design of the game. Small ball, HUGE-O-MONGO COURSE, and itty bitty hole. It makes no sense really. I would have to say that curling is more practical as a sport. Add that to the fact that every ball I hit goes straight for a second, then curves madly to the right into trees and it is just not my game. Plus the sunburns...ugh. I do enjoy the little golfball washers though, those are kinda fun... Alas, good luck with the newfound sport. May I see you soon on the LPGA.....

Heather said...

So glad that you enjoyed the weekend as much as Heather and Royce. You guys always seem to help out on the secret keeping committees.

I don't understand the idea of golf, never have tried and it probably never will. Did, once, go with Jared and Madelyn to hit a bucket of balls. Hoping that Jared never wants to take it up as a hobby since it is so expensive!

ROAST said...

I think we now need to hear the perspective of Ryan talking about trying to find the caves....really nothing to do with the proposal. I am just fascinated by those caves!

CL/Dad said...

Hey Amy, not just your father-in-law, but your father is also shocked that you played real golf, not just the miniature kind. And I suppose I should express more concern about going in a hot air balloon, but you did have enough sense to not go crashing into the mountains, so I defer further comment about that. There were never many divots in our back yard, and you can use my un-used golf clubs any time you want.

mcampbell said...

Still smiling from our conversation. Glad we (finally!) got to talk.

Love you!

The Wehrmeister's said...

So excited for Royce! The Wehrmeister and Autry (MomAutry is here visiting) families are really excited! How lucky you are Amy for getting to help.

Jen

Mrs. Cropper said...

Amy, a quick "hi" in line for our chicken cordon bleu was so not enough! I've been talking with Lori about how funny it is that you and I totally correspond in cyber-land but I was so shy to introduce myself in the flest! So silly. Oh and p.s. turns out I totally know Royce from my mission!

Unknown said...

anne- i commented to you before reading this...I totally agree! next time will be better :)