Thursday, September 25, 2008

One Baby Would be So Easy


These are words that have been expressed several times in the last month. not that we diminish anyone who has one baby...we know it is a lot of sleepless nights and hard work. I can't even imagine what it would be like to also have a toddler or such running around. But just in case anyone wants to know what it's like to have two:
  • Even though you get pretty good at recognizing their cries, every once in awhile it surprises you that it's really Adam and not Rachel

  • When you have one, it is easy to decide who to help. With two, it is a toss up. Already this morning I have gotten Rachel's milk out 4x, only to put it back. Adam has been fed first twice now while she slumbers.
  • Luckily, Ryan allows me to sleep pretty soundly for a few hours at night. But I am always anticipating when it is time to get up. I had a minor outpatient procedure last week. When the nurse called my name to wake me up, I put my arms out and thought, "Is it my turn? Okay-I'm getting up." When I opened my eyes to the hospital room I admit I was a little disappointed not to be greeted by a cute baby.

  • I pray for Ryan to wake up/come home so he can hold a screaming baby. But wait-that means that I still am holding a screaming baby.

  • You use one bottle to prop up a second bottle to feed one while you hold another.

  • We write names on bottles, but we have long since given up on gender. It is not unusual to see Adam in a pink blanket, or Rachel with a blue binki. So far we have avoided Adam in a dress, but just give us time..

  • When I am holding one, I miss the other terribly (even though I am secretly praying they will sleep longer)

  • When I am holding both (and pumping at the same time) I sure wonder how on earth I got here and what I did to deserve such greatness.

So even though we have given up:

  • sleep

  • showers

  • food

  • hygiene of any kind

  • shopping

  • leaving the house

  • being alone

  • clean clothes

  • clean house

  • hobbies

  • communication with the outside world,

We have gained:

  • major multi tasking skills

  • armfuls of love

  • Adam's smile

  • Rachel's eyes

  • a changing table full of diapers

  • lots of little laundry

  • lots of tears of happiness, sadness, and frustration

  • lots of bottles, and binkis-everywhere (except where on earth do binkis go? I swear I just bought 20 of them and they're all gone)

  • fear and hope for the future

  • a lot more stress

  • the ability to accept help (a little bit more)

  • germ-o-phobia (seriously-I am nuts!)

  • a love of Dr. Pepper (shh-don't tell)
  • the inability to express just exactly what it's like...

In other words: We have a family. And we love it (most of the time) :)

15 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh guys, I can't even imagine. One baby is hard, with or without the possibility of twins. And while I'd love to at some point add to our little family, the prospect of a newborn AND a toddler scares me to death. Even though I'm sure you're frazzled most of the time, I have to believe that some semblance of rhythm and routine (and hygiene) will eventually find its way back into your lives. Keep plugging away. You really are an inspiration to me.

Lindsay said...

Oh, and check behind the crib for those binkies. That's where I ALWAYS find a stash of Garrett's. :)

Katrina said...

I admire you both so much. I've thought often about the challenge twins would be--Amazing how two babies can be four times the work of one. Luckily they give you four times the joy, too. They do, right? ;) I dreamed about you and your little family last night--I was visiting and got to photograph your little ones. Sure wish that one would come true. Hang in there and call me next year when you can come up for air :)

Heather said...

I always told myself that I wanted twins but they had to come first, that way I would have no idea what it was like to have one baby at a time. Now, heavens, I don't know what I would do with myself. I admire you both, but must admit that Amy has a little harder of a job (having to hold both babies and pump all at the same time). Ryan you are a good man to let your wonderful wife catch up on a little sleep in the night. That is the one thing I dread when even tossing the idea around to have another one, the sleepless nights and not having a husband who can help every single night (apparently someone has to work to bring home the money!). Keep it up, it really is a joy even though it seems like it will never end.

ROAST said...

You guys are great. I was going to say "You are too cute Amy", but figured that was too girly of me. And your mom is great too (From last post).

Ummm free ticket to Disneyland on your birthday? We need to talk Ryan.

I know you guys are busy with babies and what not, but we still want to come and visit sometime...although we'll probably just end up babysitting the entire time.

jeanine said...

You guys are seriously amazing. My mother in law is always convinced someone in the family is having twins. I don't think I could handle it! I'm with Heather... if I had twins they would've had to be first so I wouldn't know the difference!

Kayla said...

I love it! I'm so happy that you've gained so many great things! Sometimes we all need a reason not to shower - you have two! I wish I were closer so I could come help. Love you all!

Broderick Clan said...

I think you both are amazing! You probably covered almost everything on what it's like to have twins. I think I will always want to have one baby at a time! Keep up all that amazingness. It will get a little easier. Hang in there.

Alaina said...

I love it! I admire you! Thanks for TRYING to put it into words for us... You'll totally love having this written down someday too.

nateandrebecca said...

You guys are seriously amazing. I don't know how you do it...I wonder if I even could. I seriously admire all you are doing. Good luck with it all!

Lindsay said...

Amy, your babies are adorable! It is so fun to see the pictures of them together. I loved reading this post...babies truly are a blessing. Two must just bring double the joy! Good luck with everything! We're thinking about you!
Lindsay G.

Erin said...

Love your posts, they are so heartfelt and real. Where did you get your template background? I love it!

Sarah said...

That is so true about the binki thing. But, aha! We just found about 4 binkis wedged between the crib and the wall. Good luck. Take heart from what President Monson said in conference. You only get this precious time in their lives once.

randi said...

Amy, your babies are adorable. I love reading about your cute little family!

Anonymous said...

Grandpa looked at every picture 3 times. Your blog is great for helping us all be part of the party that is your house. Thanks for posting loads of pictures.