Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Alcohol

I hate Alcohol. Hate it. Alcohol is a factor in more traffic deaths, domestic abuse, job firings, moral regrets, life altering addictions, and destroyed dreams than any other substance on Earth.

Before I continue, I should point out that my argument against alcohol is based solely on logic, not morality. Jesus drank. And coming from a Christian, I trust that assuages any presumption that I’m speaking from a perceived position of moral superiority. Drinking doesn’t make you a bad person. In fact, some of the best people I know drink.

That said,… I still hate alcohol. I’ve seen far too many lives altered or destroyed to keep silent on the issue. Alcohol is a drug, and far more dangerous than many illicit drugs. But because the government says it’s OK, people do it. Like other drugs, drinking is a form of self-medication. In small quantities, inhibitions are dulled, worries are forgotten, there’s a mild sense of euphoria… But consider the side effects. What if liquor had the same warning labels as other medications/drugs? “Caution: Flammable. Highly addictive. May cause inability to stand, slurred speech, altered personality, decreased mental capacity, violence, STDs, unwanted pregnancy, severe vomiting, unconsciousness, memory loss, inability to function at work, liver damage, and death to yourself or others while driving.” I don’t care if a drug cured cancer- with side-effects like that, you’d still think twice before taking it. Of course, alcohol doesn’t cure anything. So what does it offer in exchange for all these potential side-effects? A slightly better time at the party, or a short-lived procrastination of grief.

At its worst, alcohol kills approximately 75,000 people in the US each year. At its best, it temporarily changes who you are, how you think, and how you act. I believe in embracing who you are, not trying to mask it with mind-altering chemicals. I’d never consume anything that would dull my mind or cause me to act differently than I’d normally act.

I’m sick of our hypocritical society condemning tobacco, while celebrating alcohol. It disappoints me that people fall in line just because one’s more socially acceptable than the other. Multi-million dollar ad campaigns, policy changes, and even legislation have all simultaneously converged to inconvenience, ostracize, and humiliate smokers. Say what you will about the possible dangers of secondhand smoke. All I know is my family’s a lot more likely to be killed driving home tonight by the guy who had a few beers after work, than the guy who smoked a few cigarettes.

Are there a lot of people who will drink “responsibly,” never drink and drive, never hurt anyone, and never get addicted? Absolutely. But why risk it? When there’s a multi-million member organization (Alcoholics Anonymous) dedicated to overcoming a substance abuse problem, why would you voluntarily ingest that substance? Everyone should have the privilege of attending an AA meeting. When you’ve looked into the tear-filled eyes of individuals whose lives have been torn apart by booze, you think twice before taking it into your body. Many AA members proudly carry their 1 year, 5 year, or 10 year sober chips as a badge of honor. As well they should. They’ve succeeded in suppressing a monstrous vice. I recently hit 30 years sober. Though, I admittedly did it the easy way. And highly recommend it. I wonder how many AA members wish they could go back and take the easy path of never taking that first drink? I’d always wondered “If I were in their shoes, would I have the willpower to overcome that type of addiction?” Many years ago, when my missionary companion and I took a gun away from a suicidal man who’d lost everything to alcoholism, I thanked my lucky stars I’d never have to find out.

2 comments:

heath said...

I love your rants Ry. I think you're spot on with this. A couple that Royce and I became friends with recently shared with us (after knowing that we were people they could trust with that information) that they met at AA. They're both 10? 20? years sober (I can't remember) now and happily married, but before that they both had ruined marriages and relationships with their children as a result of their addiction.

lori said...

Wow. That was really great.