Thursday, September 20, 2007

Are you smarter than a Cub Scout?

Alas, we are...not. But we had fun trying...

Our ward does their pinewood derby races family style-so Ry and I joined in on the fun...


You should have seen him so happy with his drill and gorilla glue and duct tape to insert our dimes, and you should have seen him sanding down every corner a million times even though it was already 100% splinter proof.

I myself was quite happy with the racing stripes and the paint job.
You can't see it, but our license plate says "Fitz" Maybe it we had given it a proper name, it would have done better.

Our little car did not win any races-but it didn't give up either. Even though it massively slowed after the incline, just like the Little Engine Who Could, it always slowly slid until it at last reached the finish line. I don't have any pictures to prove it, however, so you're just going to have to take my word for it.

And, of course, every participant got a medal (or Ryan just stole it from some little kid-you can never be too sure)

5 comments:

lori said...

HA! Way to go, guys! Hope to get all of the gruesome details this weekend!!

heath said...

Ha! I wouldn't put it past Ryan to take it when some kid wasn't looking. J/k! I've never had the thrill of pinewood derby racing. Looks like fun!

jeanine said...

How fun! The only time I've done pinewood derby was for mutual once growing up--it was pretty fun! (There's a story of my bro-in-law who built his car all by himself--instead of with the help of a parent like the other kids--and came in dead last every time. He was so mad that when he got home I believe that he set the car on fire or took some equally drastic measure)

mcampbell said...

This is such a Fitz fam activity. Love it. (There is something about boys and their Pinewood Derbys--boyishness comes out all over the place!) (How does one properly pluralize Derbys? Derbies? hmmmm)

Kate said...

Oh, scouts! They made me the scout leader for the 10 year olds once, and it was by far the hardest calling I have ever had!! My theory, they should only make mother's who have a scout do that calling! Way to go on your derby!