Wednesday, September 26, 2007

On Being Your Own Boss

Ry asked if I wanted to go to dinner tonight at his favorite BBQ place. It was mutual night so I really didn't have time, but I have been neglecting him all week so I agreed as long as we went early. However, this was us on the way there:

Ring tone A

"Hi, this is Ryan...insurance...yadda yadda...dmv....proof of...policy...yadda yadda"
"Hold on I've got another call"
"yeah, can I call you back I've got someone on the other line"

Pause between calls: "Hi wife, sorry."

Immediately Ring tone A again

"more insurance yadda yadda stuff"

Phone is hung up. Ry opens mouth to say something...

Ring tone B

"yes at the church...no it's casual dress...do you need the RS room? yes I can pick Kim up..."

Again we thought we had another pause before:
Ring tone A and B at the same time:

"you're kidding they moved?" "do we have a claim number?" "do you have her new address?" "call the company..." "is she still in the stake? oh good." ....and so on

Finally, with both phones silent for more than a second, Ry looks over at me and asks,
"So...are you enjoying our date?"
By the time we actually got there, we had an enjoyable meal with no interruptions...but for the record-I don't recommend trying to go out on a mutual night when your the YW pres or before 5 on a weekday when you are trying to run a business. Just in case you were thinking about it.

15 comments:

Lindsay said...

So funny, Amy! I love the way you were able to capture all those simultaneous phone conversations. Love it!

jeanine said...

Oh I love you guys! Your conversations always brighten my day :)

ROAST said...

This is why I don't answer my phone on dates...of course not many people call me anyway and I'm not running a business.

CL/Dad said...

Makes me really want to finally break down and join the rest of the universe and get a cell phone ---- NOT!

Alaina said...

Ahahaha at least you're a productive couple!

lori said...

ha!! You guys are the best! I can totally invision this!

MJ/Mom/GrammaJ said...

What's a date?

heath said...

Oh, funny. I'm glad the rest of the evening went uninterrupted.

Livingstons said...

That's so sad that you guys can't even get out for a senior citizen date. I'm so glad that I'm not righteous enough to be a yw pres or ambitious enough to run my own business. It would cut into my sleep to much...

Heather said...

Amy,
Funny that you had checked my blog tonight. I seem to always check your blog and love the posts that you do, especially this one. I must agree with someone that commented...what's a date!??
Thanks again for the info on Steve and Renee, I would love to hear what his wife is like.

Anonymous said...

Like Lori said, I can totally envision this as well. The even worse thing, is something quite similar happened to Justin and I a few weeks back. We decided we were going to have a REAL DATE (this was probably mistake #1). So we kinda made plans and off we went. Then my cell rang (I answered it, Mistake #2), it was people from the animal lab asking some important stuff, and then there was a problem with a mouse and they could not get anyone else, so we had to go there. I had to do some paperwork and then put it to sleep because it got really ill for some reason (great way to start off a date, Euthanasia). So I finished up with that, washed up, and left. Thinking there was still time to salvage, we were going to embark on part of our plans, then Justin noticed he missed a call while we were downstairs in the basement (no reception). He listened to his voicemail (Mistake #3) and it was his brother who just got out of boot camp and REALLY needed to ask him some questions. So he called back, while I drove to Hollywood Video, picked out a movie, and then took both of us home after a run through Subway. From now on, no more dates...we are just going to go do "unplanned" things, we think that will work better.

nateandrebecca said...

Sad and comical. I am glad at least your dinner was uninterrupted. Guess I can't say we have ever really had this problem considering neither Nate or I have cell phones, and half of the calls we get on our land line are sales calls.

Sarah said...

I had an opposite problem a couple days ago- a problem from not having a cell phone. (these come up from time to time.) I went to my scheduled VT appointment and my companion said she'd be late and the sister we were visiting was mysteriously gone. Her home was unlocked and her car in the driveway- with the carseat so I know she couldn't have gone far because she would have had to walk- but she couldn't have walked far because she was supposed to be on partial bedrest for her pregnancy. It was a true mystery and I felt that if I could just call someone, I could figure it out. But, as it was, Elisabeth and I just waited on their front porch for a half hour and went home.
hmm... the relevance of this story is questionable, but maybe it will make you feel better that you have a cell phone ringing off the hook. I love you guys and that story was so classic and funny.

jeanine said...

Amy, you were in my dream last night. All I can remember is that you were buying your parents house and moving to St. Louis. I was so excited because you'd be close to me. I guess in reality you wouldn't be THAT close. Anyway... totally random.

Unknown said...

jeanine-I love it. too bad it was just a dream-maybe someday :)

hello and thanks to everyone else's comments too :)