Tuesday, November 27, 2007

On Priorities

Although I have been sad not to see many new blog posts, or new emails, or voice mail messages-I have been happy knowing the reason for this depletion. I have been happy knowing that everyone has been spending time with friends and family across the country gorging themselves with food. (my fav this year were the sweet potatoes). And so-I just wanted to say "Way to go, everyone!" for having your priorities in line.

According to Ryan, my priorities should be:
1. Melinda (YW counselor)
2. Insurance (you can't live w/o insurance)
3. Ryan

If I'm ever having a bad day, or am feeling badly about myself (so you know, every other day) Ryan will say, "Is Melinda happy with you?"

And somehow, that makes everything okay. So if your first priority is not your church calling-I would say to you-step it up people! :)

However, these days I am told that my priority needs to be on the Christmas letter, so I have been told no more blogging about funny things! That means no picture of the tree yet either (sorry Aaron). It also means that I can't talk about Thanksgiving much, or our one day trip to Disneyland, but I highly doubt Ry will include these highlights in the letter, so here is the best of my Thanksgiving:
  • The flights to and from St. Louis (A group, no one in between us, the perfect amount and sleep and books to read)
  • Watching Kevin and Eric play ping pong (very similar to Dwight and Mose)
  • Cooking with Emma (and knowing that she was filling my spot in the kitchen)
  • Eating Jenny's Pumpkin Crisp for breakfast
  • Sitting next to Annette during Enchanted and laughing together
  • Watching James play the 50 cent piece game, and Simon Says, and Charades
  • Tate calling Eric-Ryan and Ryan-Eric. And falling asleep on me.
  • Davis dancing and his grinning spells in between falling and crying.
  • Mom and Dad watching and admiring us all (cause you know-we're perfect)
  • Uncle Ryan keeping all of the kids entertained so the adults could have some sort of a conversation.

And no, we didn't take any pictures of the week (other than the hundreds of family ones we posed for and were tortured with) but as you probably can guess-pictures were not our top priority.

10 comments:

mcampbell said...

I could make a similar list from my Thanksgiving--aren't families GREAT?

They're great.

Good luck with the Christmas letter! I am anxiously awaiting. :)

lori said...

yes. families are great. Glad we all have such happy ones!!

And bring on the Christmas season, Amy and Ryan!! We can't wait for the party and for our letter!

CL/Dad said...

Yes, I do admire you all. And a few adult conversations among the kid activities and focus is always welcome. Hope we can all get together again soon. Thanks for reminding me about the top priority for family. Just don't bring up the fact that you let me off the hook for a return drive to the airport at the end of the tense BYU-Utah football game.

nateandrebecca said...

Hurray for Thanksgiving! I am glad you enjoyed yours. We enjoyed ours too. There definitely weren't many young kids around though with my family. Looking forward to your Christmas letter. :)

jeanine said...

sounds like you had a great time! looking forward as always for THE letter!

Livingstons said...

So, was the 1 day trip to disneyland just for the christmas letter? Don't sell out...

MJ/Mom/GrammaJ said...

It was so great! I loved all the things that Amy loved, and especially Ryan telling me the food was good. That makes it worth the work. And James exclaiming, "This was the best Thanksgiving ever".

jeanine said...

oh... and love Dwight and Mose playing ping pong.

lori said...

I miss you tons too!
Been thinking and wondering a lot about you guys!

We need to talk soo!

Rachel B. said...

You guys crack me up! I love that Ryan won't let you post pictures or tell certain stories about certain things because he wants to save it for a letter. You know, it's been an awful long time since I've seen the guy, but he sounds exactly the same! I'm glad you were able to go spend time with family for Thanksgiving. Something random, but I absolutely LOVE the name Davis. I always have, but I can't convince Tom to use it for a boy. I'm assuming he's a nephew?

So thanks for feeling sorry for me the other day. That's exactly what I wanted. :) And as far as our English teacher goes, I totally cannot remember his name, but he was awesome! I remember him being short, with a shaved head, and he'd always wear those GQ turtleneck sweaters and boots. So funny. Loved that class though. I'm a horrible writer, but he made it so much fun! Is this so random that I still remember that you did your big research paper on dreams? If I'm wrong, then just ignore that last sentence. ;)