Friday, November 9, 2007

The Tree Part 2

I can't possibly explain what decorating this tree entails, but hopefully you will get an idea. This post is dedicated to Jill, Floyd, Nate, Merrill, Lee, and Lexi all who spent countless hours making this happen.

# of previous extension cords: at least 26
# of appliances out of commission while old tree was lit: at least most of them
# of amps our house contains: 125
# of amps our tree was last year: 180
# of electric panels we melted: 1
# of grateful prayers that our house is still intact: countless
# of blue replacement bulbs we can't use any more: at least 700
# of light strands removed: 125
# of removal hours: 7-8



Taking down the old lights

#of new LED light strands ordered: 150
# of extension cords used: 2
# of man hours to put them up: at least 36; prob. more. we stopped counting.
# of times we listened to the 12 Days of Christmas: I now hate that song
# of neighbors met: 5
#of drivebys: 10 (drive by in this case meaning any car that drove abnormally slowly down our street. Many were witnessed shooting pictures on their cell phone. No violence involved.)
amt of electricity now needed: less than our kitchen.
# of children whose Christmas will be brighter and better: at least 2 so far. That's why we do it folks.

Friday, 5:40 pm Just getting started.

Saturday, 11:58 pm, No more help after this.

Did you really think you could see the finished product? Not till after Thanksgiving. But this is a pretty good sneak preview huh?

Ry: Just before coming in: Monday, 3:30am

My hero

14 comments:

heath said...

Wait, so let's see if I've got this right. You're using a new kind of light-bulb that uses less electricity? Are they as bright, or possibly brighter? And I'm in awe that you only need 2 extension cords. I'm going to have to see this thing for myself!

The Pagets in Florida said...

Um, no harnesses? What would OSHA say?

Heather said...

I love it and can't wait to see the final tree. Glad to hear that it doesn't entail as much electricity and what not. Ry looks so happy to be doing this.

Kate said...

That is dedication to your Christmas decorating! I too can't wait to see the final product! Don't injure yourselves...

MJ/Mom/GrammaJ said...

I am so glad you will not be melting electrical panels, or blowing up appliances, especially since I will be sleeping in your house. Have you checked your smoke detectors lately........

Can't wait to see it up close and personal!

Lindsay said...

It's beautiful guys!

Anna said...

You got a genie lift!?! That is serious. I can't believe it. Thanks for giving all of the details. I never appreciated the work that goes into Christmas lights like I should. When people put lights half way up their trees, I always thought they were too lazy to get out the ladder. I now I understand that it is much more involved. I feel humbled and more grateful for everyone's efforts. Thank you. I'm sure it will look fabulous. I look forward to seeing pictures.

Katie Hutson said...

Wow!! You guys are pretty dang amazing--I like checking in on your blog every once in a while--so fun to see what you are up to!! Ah...old southridge friends never cease to make me smile!!

jeanine said...

Horray for the tree! I can't wait to see the final product. Wish I could see it in person... I'll have to send Elise and Austin to be my proxy.

Rachel B. said...

Okay, you guys are hysterical! That is so great. I can't believe you have the patience for that! It's like that Chevy Chase Christmas movie only in your tree instead of the roof. I love it!

The Pagets in Florida said...

Okay, I am still a science geek, but that is your warning. First off I give props to Ryan for managing to melt down the circuit panel. It must be everyone's fantasy (who understand the Simpsons) to cause a nuclear power plant to melt down (not really melt down but at least threaten to.) A circuit panel it still more than I would ever be able to pull off. A microwave or a dryer sure... but I give props for a whole circuit panel.

Now, here is the geeky part in me. The LED light strands typically use .03 amps which means 150 strands requires 4.5 amps of power. To put this into perspective, the smallest breaker you are likely to find in a house are 10 amps, most are 15 or 20 amps. So this is well within the operating range and 2.5% of the amount used last year according to Amy.

As for power consumption, each strand consumes 3.5 Watts of power. This could be compared to your 60 watt light bulb. So at 150 strands, you have 525 Watts. (less than the larger plasma screen TV's). At the googled rate of 8.4325 cents per Kilowatt-hour this is just under 4.5 cents per hour to run.

May I just commend Ryan on saving so much money this year by making the investment for the new LED lights. (It should only cost about $8 to run them the month of December assuming 6 hours per night. It would cost us about twice as much.)

Here's to you, Ryan.

Livingstons said...

No fair. We don't get to see the majesty of "the tree" at Thanksgiving or Christmas. That's it - you have to move yourselves and your tree to where ever we move. And that's the only reason :)

Grandma lu said...

THE GREAT CHRISTMAS EXTRAVAGANZA!!
BEGINS AGAIN! LOVE THAT YOU DO THAT!

Unknown said...

Aaron, you are too funny. Thanks for the calculations! And thanks for the support everybody! Everyone is invited to come see it in person and have some hot chocolate on Sat. Dec. 22nd! I can't buy your plane tickets, but I can promise it would be worth it! :)