Thursday, August 12, 2010

Almost Home

The day started at 5am CST. It ended at 11pm MST. In between were some of the worst hours of my life. I don't think I'm exaggerating. I'm still recovering from the hours of driving, and screaming, and the blow out while I drove and the hour from hell at Wal-Mart while we fixed the tire. And the parts where I completely embarrassed myself in front of our friends that we stayed with. I'm pretty sure they will never have children.At least there was Casa Bonita. The mecca of all that is good about dining smack in the middle of Denver, CO. But despite the pictures to show our fun at the puppet show, arcades, cliff diving, and Black Bart's Cave, I can only remember the moment when I was finally left alone at the table to finish the remnants of my dinner. I could only stare at the food while I broke down into sobs. But I was still aware of my surroundings enough to notice that the old man trying not to stare at me was definitely staring at me. So I decided to take my over tired and worn out mothering self to the ladies room to at least save some of my dignity. The private handicapped stall was occupied. Of course. So I carried my tear stained face to the public restroom, but it was next to the arcade. I pictured my family winning tickets with their ski ball skills and decided I might as well just start enjoying myself. So there you have it. If Casa Bonita can make my worst day better, it is definitely a good place.
 

7 comments:

The Pagets in Florida said...

Wow. these daily posts are like opening Christmas presents... well, no gold slinky, but still nice anyway.

Erin said...

Traveling with young kids can be SO hard. It was incredibly hard when we did that 8 hour trip to Northern CA with our boys earlier this year. Its ok to cry:) I was doing the same thing when we were 2 hours away from home, and Ethan was fussy, tired, and screaming. Oh, hard. You will have great rest at home soon, pray every moment! :)

jeanine said...

You are incredibly brave to attempt such a trip with such little ones!

heath said...

I'm sure they'll have kids. They just may wait awhile longer. :) (You know I'm kidding, right?)

Ryan said...

Ooh! Bonus points to the Pagets for a Christmas Letter reference. You guys just made the mailing list for life.

lori said...

I loved this post even more than I love Casa Bonita's (which says a lot). It's been so fun to read about all of your trip in detail!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!! It makes me laugh and laugh (except for when it makes me almost cry!) Love you all!

lori said...

I loved this post even more than I love Casa Bonita's (which says a lot). It's been so fun to read about all of your trip in detail!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!! It makes me laugh and laugh (except for when it makes me almost cry!) Love you all!