Sunday, May 8, 2011

Dress Ups and Mother's Day

This is our new favorite past time:








I can't tell you how funny it is to see Adam come out of the room and exclaim, "I'm a princess!" And then proceed to twirl and curtsy. And then when his crown falls off he frets, "My crown!" and has to replace it as quickly as possible.
I have been thinking about this a lot. About when it doesn't become okay to exclaim proudly, "I'm a princess!" or, "I'm a Mother." Because that's what I am. And some days it feels like I am "dressing up". That it's not real and that I can "play" my way through the day and think it's good enough. But really, I can't let my crown slip and fall off. I need to wear it proudly. I learned that lesson this week when I thought it would be okay to indulge a little bit. I spent too much time on myself. The result? A colored on wall that I had to paint afterward. (Note: some indulgence is fine--I just knew I was taking it too far).
Today I have really enjoyed my chance to step back from my role and let Ryan take the reigns. He has done a good job. And I have been able to channel some of my creative energy that has been building up for too long. But tomorrow-I am anxious to push up my sleeves and get to work. To do what I know I was made to do and to do it well. And if I do that long enough, maybe I won't feel like I'm "dressing up" anymore. And that my kids will be able to grow up and say, "she knew she was a mother"

Happy Mother's Day!

3 comments:

Linda said...

Your kids are growing up so fast!! Crazy!!

Happy Mother's Day!!

heath said...

Love, love, love these dress-up pictures. Rachel makes for a great superhero. And Adam in that princess costume is just too classic. These could be great leverage when he is a rebellious teenager: "Clean your room, or else your princess pictures are going on facebook."

jeanine said...

Loved this post!