Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Amazing Grace

Well, we are back from our weekend excursion in Seattle. And while we have lots to say about that, it will have to wait for another time. But as a consequence of spending time with so many great and inspiring friends, Ryan and I have committed to spending a week with no tv. And for those of you who know my "work on the couch in his underwear and stay up all night watching reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond on our DVR at 3am" husband, this is quite a challenge. I don't have too much of a problem with it, but you will notice that I agreed to this only after the series finale of Gilmore Girls. So, we will keep you posted on what has happened so far this week because of the tv ban:

Day One: We came home from Seattle at 5 pm. We did the normal catching up from a trip things. Ryan immediately started to work and open mail. I went to the store and got milk and bananas for breakfast, and then we had a quick FHE before I headed off to bed early to read until I fell asleep. But then the doorbell ring and I hear Ry inviting someone in. I quickly rise to put on appropriate attire for company as I hear Ry say, "I'll get my wife." He then comes in and says excitedly, " The missionaries are here and I am listening to Amazing Grace!" We quickly high fived before we go back to the living room to talk to the elders. They totally commented on the spirit of our home and were so grateful for the music. So while we know we shouldn't let our alms be seen of men-it's still pretty exciting when it happens accidentally. :) Also, it could have been just jet lag, or the fact that he was bored out of his mind, but Ryan had a very peaceful night's sleep starting at 10pm.

Stay tuned for the rest of our weekly experiment...and feel free to comment about oh you know-the score of the game or something.

4 comments:

jeanine said...

ooh... what a good experiment! I'm excited to see what else happens. I don't know if I could do it (tv is a GREAT distraction for William... I don't know if I'd get a shower some days otherwise!) I do need to cut down a little. I've noticed that we have so much fun when we keep the tv off!
ps. smart thinking--waiting till Gilmore Girls was over!

lori said...

OH, Wes and I loved this post and can't wait for upcoming tales of your TV-less daily drama. We love you guys so much! REally, I just keep smiling about this post. We had so much fun with you this weekend! Thanks for making all of that happen! When are you coming to Provo??

heath said...

Thanks for making me laugh! I just needed a little Fitzgibbon in my life today.

Lindsay said...

Good luck with the no TV. I think it's a fabulous idea, but it would be hard for us, too. There's just something so relaxing, though, about coming home from work, whipping up some dinner, and eating it in front of Seinfeld reruns. Can't wait to hear how your experiment goes!