Saturday, June 9, 2007

Quarter Life Crisis

Well, it's official. Yesterday was my 25th birthday. The point of no return. The point where I officially have to grow up and be mature and move on with life. (Okay, maybe not, but I can feel that way right?) But as I look back on the last 25 years, I realize how lucky I am. I have so many wonderful friends and family-all of which acknowledged me in some meaningful way this week. Thanks to all!


I also have very few regrets: They simply include:
  • Not trying escargot in Paris when I was twelve. I now have to go back just for that.

  • Not going to my brother's state tennis tournament with my family sophomore year. I used some lameo excuse that I couldn't miss school-but really I stayed for some dumb boy.

  • Being such a brat on my high school graduation day

  • Not ever trying out for Women's Chorus at BYU.

  • Not telling a certain someone how I really felt about him.


But these are regrets I can live with. Despite all of the awkwardness and mistakes and devastation life brings, there is nothing that I would change about the way I've lived mine. And I am determined that this trend will continue.

I am not who or where or what I thought I would be on my 25th birthday. I can't say if I am better or worse, or happy or sad. But I am still me, and glad to be it.

So as I make a wish and blow out my candles, I am grateful for the life I have lived, and for the life I will live from now on-good, bad, and ugly, and amazing.

4 comments:

lori said...

Oh, I love these birthday cake pictures! Wish we could have been there to celebrate with you!!
I loved reading your 'regrets' - I'm intrigued by a few :)

Love you!! I'm so grateful for your wonderful life, Amy Jean!

heath said...

Amy, I totally missed wishing you a happy birthday. So sorry! I never look at my calendar. Sigh. But I sincerely hope you enjoy being 25--it has been a good age for me. Love you!

Lindsay said...

Happy Birthday, Amy!!

Alaina said...

Whoa! It takes a brave girl to admit her only life regrets on the world wide web! You rock. I'm glad my blog isn't the only personal-journal-like one :) Love you! Happy Birthday!!!