Monday, June 2, 2008

Are You Smarter than a 3rd Grader?

As a 3rd grade boy I stared in awe through the glass at the printing machines below. I was on the US Mint tour in Washington DC. Never before had I imagined so much money could exist. Large sheets of hundred dollar bills whisked off the printer several times a second. "You must have a bazillion dollars here!" I shouted to the tour guide, "Can I have $1,000?" "That wouldn't be fair to everyone else," she explained. "Well, you could give everyone $1,000 and then it would be fair," I retorted. "But if we gave everyone $1,000 the price of everything would just go up, because people would have more dollars to spend. So everyone could still buy the same amount of things. It would just take more dollars to buy them. It's called inflation." My 3rd grade mind turned that over for a minute. "Yeah, I guess that makes sense."

Fast forward twenty years. This arrived in the mail today.....



And I'm left to wonder; fellow American, are you smarter than a 3rd Grader?

9 comments:

Heather said...

Love it!!! I too believe I am smarter than a 3rd grader. Lucky for us, our money will be sitting in a savings account somewhere making us just a little, and I mean little, bit of money! It truly doesn't make much sense. Some will use it wisely but most will just spend it ASAP, buy something that is more than their check, and get themselves into more debt. What a wonderful cycle!

Blair said...

Ryan, you have so eloquently described the frustration that I have felt ever since I first took a government finance class. I suppose this is the problem with democracy. No matter how smart people are, when you put them together in large groups (like Congress) they are idiots.

That being said, no fair! We only got $600! Then again, you probably actually pay taxes, we just get everything back every year...

Ron said...

Congratulations on receiving the full qualifying amount. I think we got shafted since I was in school half the year and working for peanuts.

Ah, government...

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting! Love you!

The Pagets in Florida said...

You know, my multi-variable calculus and partial differential equations seem to be doing just fine. My arithmetics may need a little help though. So maybe I am smarter than a third grader, but not as smart as a third grader.

The Wehrmeister's said...

Not EVERYONE got a check... but thank you for rubbing it in.

Lindsay said...

Hmmm...good point. I don't know that I want to complain too loudly, though. We had two taxpayers AND a kid last year and got even more moolah. But, sigh, it's all going right back to the government...blast those student loans.

lori said...

don't think this even needs a response.

Love and miss you guys!

nateandrebecca said...

LOL! I love this post! We didn't get the full refund amount either; we only got half of it. We have no idea why, but we were disappointed.