Friday, June 20, 2008

Good Hearts



Both Adam (top) and Rachel (bottom) were born with a heart condition that may have required surgery if the medicine hadn't fixed it. After 3 days of treatment, we got the test results and both their hearts are now functioning normally! So no surgery necessary. We also found out today that neither of them are showing any signs of bleeding in the brain (another condition common in preemies). We couldn't be more grateful. As heartbreaking as it is to see your little babies poked and prodded with needles and tubes, the joy of seeing them progress is overwhelming.

They're already starting to show their own personalities. Adam will grab anything in reach... his blanket, your finger, IVs, and his favorite past-time, trying to pull out his breathing tube.
Rachel's favorite past-time seems to be crying. She can't get out a sound with the ventilator in her throat, but her little face scrunches up and she opens her mouth to yell at the world. And yes, she does have a left hand. She's just shaking it so angrily the camera couldn't pick it up.
Amy came home from the hospital tonight. Her recovery's going well, though it's not without the expected pain following a natural birth and a cesarean. And here's my beautiful family...

Thank you all so much for your kindness and prayers. We feel them. Our kids' health reflects them. And that means everything to us.

11 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh, you guys...they are beautiful!

The Ririe's said...

Ryan & Amy - I was told you had your babies and that I needed to come check them out on your blog. They are so precious and will continue to pray for them. Congratulations!

Heather said...

Yeah for babies who are progressing with out complications! Amy looks wonderful and the babies are gorgeous, I would comment on you Ry but you forgot to show us you. Isn't it amazing what our Father in Heaven can do for us!

Keep us updated on what is going on. Hopefully you guys can get some rest between the hospital trips. Do they let you hold them at all or is it a stand by and stare situation?

Kristen said...

I hope your recovery goes well Amy. I am glad to hear that your babies are doing well too. We are thinking and praying for all of you.

jeanine said...

Amy, good luck with the recovery! Rest as much as you can so you can be recovered before your babies come home! So so so glad that the babies are doing so well! They are precious!

lori said...

so glad for these happy updates! SO GLAD!!! We love you four! (one of these times I'm going to kick Wes off the phone and talk to you guys myself!)

heath said...

So glad to see them doing well. What is the purpose of the bandaging around Adam's head in that one photo? Just curious. Love you guys so much. Thanks for keeping us all updated--you know we are all anxious to hear.

Kayla said...

Yay! Cute little babies! I'm SO glad to hear that things are going well! Thanks for keeping us updated! Love to you!

Unknown said...

THANK YOU EVERYBODY! Can't tell you how much it helps to read these...I'm doing well, but it's definitely hectic and I need to make sure I get more rest. Wish we could blog details all day, but...

Heath (and other curious people)-those were the "shades" to protect his eyes from the lights they had on them for jaundis. They both have had the lights. Adam was off of them, but is back on again today. This is not a big deal considering.

Adam also had a blood transfusion so he has an IV in his hand. So far so good with Rachel in that regard.

Prayers are helping us. Thanks again.

Allison Hollingsworth Deming said...

I am usually a little biased towards my own relatives, but you have some pretty amazing little ones there. :) One day, when they are a bit bigger and I would not be afraid to break them I shall have to fly out and see the little ones. From the look of things, Adam will be the first one to pull my hair...and I am ok with that. I shall even start growing it out to make it more fun. :)

Amy: Get rest, you are going to need it. You did more in one day than most women do in a couple of years of having kidos, so take your time and recover. They are going to need you around and in top condition. :) I hope that you get to feeling much better very soon. I am sure your instincts might say otherwise, but make sure to let people take care of you now too.

Ryan: I know that your post from Father's Day (the earlier one) was a little looked over due to the great events of the day, but looking at it now I think you are well on your way to be denied licenses in many states, and perhaps even Canada! :) You have so many years of little ones to run your hands down to look forward to, so enjoy it while you have ridge detail my friend. Oh, and Happy Late (and First) Father's Day Dad!

Sarah said...

What a miracle! I am so happy for you, I can't even express it. We'll be praying for the four of you. Congratulations! We love you!