Friday, June 20, 2008

Quick Update

This is from my Mom's blog...if you don't see something here, you might want to check there for updates too...

Home at last
Hi all. Amy came home last night around 11. We were all exhausted and could not get to bed fast enough. Ryan, the night owl let me sleep until 5 or 6 ish which was heaven. We tag team and try to balance the load. The babies are great - see the link to their blog which will give you more in the way of pictures and update. I have a shopping list to do in between bottle washing and meal making. We are so glad the VTs are bringing dinner tonight! The babies are doing well today. Adam is back on bili lights, they both had their ventilators taken out, and are breathing with the help of a nasal cannula. Adam is on room air but Rachel is on 25% oxygen. The have been moved from warmers into incubators - the kind you stick your hands in the holes to touch them. This is all a phone report and we hope to go see them this evening. It is fun to see their personalities. Adam looks a lot like his Daddy and Rachel has some of his features but leans towards Mom. It is hard to sort out the hairlines and cowlicks as they come from both sides of the family. Poor kids! Thanks for all your prayers - we sure need them.

Other News from the new Mom:


  • Adam had a blood transfusion Wednesday which was normal and expected, but very hard to watch. He had an IV taped up his arm and it takes 3 hours for the blood to go in.

  • They both had a PICC (Peripherally Inserted Central Catheters) Line put in which will be used to give them nutrition. They will be in for a few weeks. This is also normal and expected

  • Adam is ready to be given a few drops of milk today. We'll see how it goes.

  • No chance of holding them yet...they still have to get more lines out of them, but the prospect is definitely on the horizon. We can touch them gently, but try not to because it may be too stimulating, plus the risk of infection.

It is hard to be home and further away, but it will make each visit more meaningful. We are so grateful for the miracles and blessings from Heavenly Father. Everyone is amazed at how well they're doing, and I know it is a tribute to the wonderful friends and family we have who are praying for us.

Adam's hand

Rachel's leg

10 comments:

Allison Hollingsworth Deming said...

Ok, I give...I want one! Thatis the cutest leg and arm ever! I was already in the "kid craving" mode, but the two of you (and your kids) have made it much worse. Such little ones that are SO perfect, yet SO tiny. Give them a little umm...pat from me (I would say squish, but maybe not quite yet!). Take care!

mcampbell said...

Amy and Ryan. I love them!

I do. They are beautiful.

Prayers continue...thanks for the update.

jeanine said...

Thanks for another update. We keep praying for you!

jeanine said...

ps. Amy some post c-section advice. Make sure you're up walking around... but not too much. If it starts to hurt just rest. With William they didn't make me walk around and it took WAY longer to recover (plus I had a spinal headache which was a whole other issue.) When I had James I would walk as far as I could to the NICU pushing my wheelchair and then ride the rest of the way. I was walking pretty well by the time I got home. Anyway... you probably already heard that... just thought I'd pass on my experience. I also found it helpful to put heat on my csection scar... seemed to ease the pain a little.

Heather said...

Thanks for the update and try to get a little rest between pumping, visits, scrubbing, and other things. So happy for you all.

The Wehrmeister's said...

Still thinking of you guys. What a beautiful family!

lori said...

Can't wait for when all those tubes and lines can come off! But so glad for the expert medical care.

I'm sure you're all BEAT! We are thinking and praying for you every minute!

Nick, Sonja, Andrew, Madelyn, and Luke said...

I can't believe they are already here! They both look so good, especially for 29 weekers! Congratulations!

Rachel B. said...

I'm so glad to hear that things are going well. They are just so tiny and sweet and it's so crazy how these little ones have such personalities right from the start. Keep us all updated. I will continue to pray for your sweet little family.

Cathyr said...

WoW,,, for 29 weeks they are doing very well.. Totally AWESOME....I remember so well when my BEAR/Josh was in NICU (24 yrs ago)..these memories will stay with you..as you mark each triumph over the next few days, weeks, months..and look back yrs later and feel totally amazed over the Blessings. I love the pic's of the Adams hand and Rachel's leg.. I love the little fingers and toes... precious. While packing the other day, I discovered that Josh still had the little stuffed "Woodstock" character that I placed in his incubator when he was in NICU... it has a bandage on it from a tear..but Josh cherrishes this little stuff Memento of his first days of life. So many memories... Amy, Ryan.. Good Job.. and Rest as much as you can..you will need it.. Blessings to a Sweet .. wonderful family, Cat